…and Essenhaus catered.
Five years passed and the young-ish couple decided to take a road trip back to their... err Amish heritage? Yes, something like that.
Mr. Schalk and I took a road trip with my always exciting parents to Amish country this past weekend. We ate…and ate…and ate some more. Then, we went on an excursion to find as many farm animals as possible. Great fun was had by all! Turns out I’m not the only one in the family with aspirations to acquire a barn load of friendly farm creatures. Oh yeah, Mr. Ed! He was too much fun belting out for Mr. Schalk to “turn here” and “take a left on a road that looks good to you…and we’ll find a horse down there.”
Yes, we did. And we found goats, ducks, cows and a Bonnie! Well, we found her a little later, but boy was she happy to see us!
I also had the pleasure of hearing, “how many bottoms does that have?” Huh? That one was above me. It must be a man thing because Mr. Schalk knew right away. Figures. They are wild men, you know. :)
Driving in the country and eating Amish food with the fam can’t be beat! Especially on a rainy Midwestern Saturday. Pass the lemon meringue pie!
For the record, we had Essenhaus pie at our wedding. Not cake...can you believe it?! A Cupcake for Moose had pie at her wedding? It’s true. It fit the fall ambiance of the day, and Mr. Schalk prefers pie over cake. It worked for me. Their pie is heavenly!
Happy almost Friday!
xoxo, Rachel





Cute post--and what an amazing wedding pie! Wow! Never seen anything like it.
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely night:)
I love that cherry pie... so beautiful and what a great idea instead of traditional wedding cake... Bonnie on the other land is a perfect name for her... she just Totally looks like one... great reminiscing...
ReplyDeleteOH, how lucky to get to go to Amish Country. I love anything Amish. I have a passion for it. The food, the culture, even the clothes. I am a nutter, I know!!
ReplyDeletePS I LOVE LOVE LOVE your wedding photo!! Oh and your doggie too!
ReplyDeleteThis totally makes me want to go on a road trip to Amish country...right now! But alas, a theology paper beckons. By the way, I love these photo. That one of Bonnie is adorable!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on five years! It looks like you had a great trip back to Amish country. It is absolutely gorgeous this time of year.
ReplyDeleteAnd wedding pie, seriously? Thats is AWESOME!
Wow Rachel, I've been to the Essenhaus many times myself. We had a church ladies retreat there a few times and I just love that place and the shopping at Shipshewana. Oh and the food is to die for!!!Yum! I only live a couple hours away from there.
ReplyDeleteso sweet... wedding pie is perfection. i would have preferred a wedding steak and mashed potatoes... sweets aren't really my thing. how about a wedding hot fudge sunday? yah, that would be great!
ReplyDelete