Archive

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pocket Pies!

Cherry Pocket Pies, March 2010




If you looked closely at the photos in my Happy Birthday The Liz post (I know Amanda at Small Home Big Start did..yay Amanda!) you may have seen a cute little dessert appropriately named Pocket Pies. Oh-so-adorable little individual pies fit for a party. My friend Liz, not to be confused with my sister Liz, got me this cute pocket pie mold for Christmas. It is too much fun!

I thought they would be cute for the mini birthday party, so I whipped a few up on Saturday.

First, Mrs. Meyers and I enjoyed a hearty hand wash. Her lemon verbena smells amazing and really puts me in the mood to cook! Clean hands and aprons for everyone!


To start off, you roll out the dough very thin...as in 1/8" thin. You can use homemade dough or the store bought, whichever suits your fancy. Roll, roll, roll, then use the mold to cut out sweet hearts. A solid heart for the base and one with a mini heart cut out for the steam vented top.


Super cute, huh?!


Then, you flip over the mold, place a solid heart in the bottom, and fill with pie filling goodness. Cherry filling was my dessert of choice. I wish I made my own, but I cannot make that claim. Instead, I enhanced a lovely store bought filling with vanilla and a bit more sugar.


Brush some egg wash on the bottom heart and plop a heart with the little heart (steam vent) cutout on top. Then, prresssss down! Easy peasy!


Place them on a parchment or silpat lined cookie sheet and pause to enjoy. You know you want to, and you definitely should! Enjoying the little things in life makes God smile. Wouldn't you agree? Then, brush a quick egg wash on top of your pies and sprinkle with sugar. Mmm, lovely! Pop in the oven for 15 minutes or so at 350 until golden and bubbly.


While they were baking I enjoyed a sweet treat from Mr. Schalk. Thank you Mister for my most favorite Saturday morning breakfast! You are truly the best!!!


When the pies are done, let them cool on the rack and enjoy! Since these were for The Liz I had to waits a while before indulging. So I placed some candles in the tops and enjoyed my cinnamon roll.


Don't worry if some of the goodness drips out. That is what makes them rustic and original. Especially, when you're fortunate enough to get a heart shaped drip! What are the odds?! Or is it just me? Turn your head and squint your left eye. A heart, right? Oh yeah!!

Thank you for humoring me through all these food/dessert posts. I promise more variety will come soon. Well, I promise to try to vary it up a bit. You are all such lovely readers, and I really do enjoy your visits, comments and sheer sweetness!


xoxo, Rachel & Bonnie The Great!

7 comments:

  1. That first picture blows my mind. Literally. It is gorgeous. And delicious. Those came out perfectly! wow wow wow. More from you please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely adorable! I seriously tempted to go out and my my own little heart pie mold. I was wondering if sister Liz's bday pie was homemade or bake shope. I should have known something so cute was Rachelmade :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yum Raquel!! I wish we could get those over here, the molds that is. I used to have some half moon ones over in Canada when I lived there. I'll have to see if I can find any this summer when I am there. Those look fabulous. I could almost taste them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attention all! I got the molds at Williams sonoma! They have other shapes as well. Online too perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the lovely comments Liz, Julie & Marie. Yes, Williams Sonoma makes this adorable contraption. I hope you are all having a lovely week. Thanks for stopping by! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so want one of those! Utterly adorable! Unfortunately for me Williams Sonoma wont ship to the U.K. I could cry! Its the Oreo cookie cake pan fiasco all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor U.K. readers. You are so lovely and deserve fun treats, too. You are all welcome to visit me at the cupcake cottage anytime. We'll have pocket pies, Oreo mold cake and Brach's red hots! :)

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!