Archive

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

advice to grow on


The best advice I've ever received about marriage was from my friend, Nicole. Ironically, she gave me the advice before either of us were officially wed. It's not long or complicated advice, it's honest and right.

Put God first.

I'm not just saying it's the best because I like her and want her to feel warm and fuzzy. It's seriously the best advice I could have ever gotten. Thank the good Lord my ears were open that day.

I don't have all the answers. In fact, lately I've felt pretty weak. However, just as God's power is made perfect in weakness (2 Corinthians 12:10), His power is also made perfect when we put him above all else. Above my worries, above myself, above possessions and yes above my husband. I wonder if Mr. Schalk gets tired of me referring to this thought? I do say it a lot. Pretty much to any almost married couple that will listen. Or the grandma at church who says we're a cute couple. Or Bonnie.

God is good, God is right, God is first. It's the least I can do for ALL that He's done for us. He gave His Son up for us. To die, go to the depths and rise up as our beautiful Redeemer.

It is a privilege to put God first and experience the blessings that lie in that surrender. It's a beautiful place to be, in the shadow of His wings.

Amen.


2 comments:

  1. 100% the best marriage advice. Marriage is totally a triangle with God at the top point. I don't how Marcus and I would do it without good old fashion divine intervention...

    By the way, I like the new blog layout - very nifty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a smart woman!
    also...that is pretty much the best advice for any circumstance you may find yourself in in life...ever!

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!