Archive

Thursday, August 6, 2009

random vacation thoughts - part 2 (camping)



That is the face of a happy husband. My man loves the outdoors, which is extremely attractive. We went to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore this past weekend. That's in the U.P. part of Michigan. It was a gorgeous couple of days. We got pasties (pah-stees...a u.p. specialty) and hiked many many MANY miles into the wilderness of Pictured Rocks. Okay, it wasn't many x3 miles, but it was a long hike. Thank the Lord it only rained on the car ride to the lakeshore and while we were in our tent sleeping. I think it's raining in the above picture. Our little tent kept us warm and dry even if it was too small to sit up straight. Harder for my 6' tall husband than shorty mcshorty 5'3" me. I'm technically not even 5'3", but who wants to get technical. (Side note: My whole adult life I thought I was 5'3". Then my earth shattered when at a doctor's appointment a few months ago the nurse had to PULL THE STICK UP just to make it to that point. What?! She said, "Pretty close to 5'3" tall." I said, "Really? You mean I'm not really that tall?" Nope, I'm not. She must have pulled that stupid stick thing up a quarter inch. Lame. As in, I want to drown my short girl sorrows in ice cream so I'm 5'3" ACROSS lame. Almost.)

Where was I? Ah yes. Camping. Gorgeous beaches, great hikes, an amazingly fun husband to go with, and I didn't see any bears. Success! And the best part? B said I was a trooper for making it two days and lots of miles with only a dinner of mac n cheese. No snacks and I still kept a smile on my face. That is all Jesus right there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!