Archive

Monday, August 17, 2009

Is it because I'm awkward?

Remember that time I got an ice cream maker for my birthday? Oh, you don't? Well, let me tell you.

For my birthday this year everyone (aka my parents and sister/bro-in-law) pitched in for the ice cream attachment for my stand mixer. Liz had asked if I wanted it last year, but I was stuffed to the gills with kitchen goodies in that little apartment. Let me tell you an 800 square foot apartment does not hold much. I see some amazing things done with places smaller than that, but they weren't from me. However, we did realize that by some stroke of magic we were able to fit a TON of stuff in that little kitchen. That's probably why there was no room for an ice cream bowl and attachements.

Jump to this year. Much more space in our house that thinks it's a cottage (shhh, don't tell...it doesn't need to know it's not really a cottage home...it is in my...I mean its heart). So, the perfect gift for this summer birthday girl was the ice cream attachment. Yay!

Last night, on the heels of my return from the big city I was ready. It was ice cream time! The supplies had been purchased and I was feelin' good. Everything was going as planned. I tweaked the recipe a bit...less egg yolk here...some vanilla bean (well, the seeds) there. Life was grand and ice cream was on its way.

And then this happened...



Do you see it? The goo all over the counter may look like it's trying to blend in but don't be fooled. It's not supposed to be there. It's ice cream trying to make a run for it.

It was so sad, that I had to yell for Brandon to take a picture...or twelve. The bowl slipped out of my hands. It was slippery! What else can I say? I was frustrated yet amused. Which accounts for this expression.




See the mess? It's laughing at me. Harumph...

In the end it all worked out. The sheer joy of knowing homemade ice cream was on its way surpassed any frustration of the mess that was in front of me. And here it is...20 minutes to bliss!





Hello little friend. You would be quite delicious with my new frozen treat.


The funny thing is that I don't have picture of my lovely cold concoction. It's in the freezer doing its little ice cream thing. I'll let you know how it turns out. The fourteen spoonfulls I had before going into the freezer were amazing. Smooth, creamy, heavenly. Heavy cream has that effect. You don't even want to know the caloric content to this dream boat of a dessert. It's worth it. Trust me. Come over, have a bowl, laugh at my crazy dog and go on your merry way. You'll be happy you stopped by.

2 comments:

  1. that picture of you is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! needs to be your profile pic stat! i am severely jealous anytime i see this kitchenaid of yours. SEVERELY. i have to make ice cream with a huge maker from the 80's and pour ice and salt in it every ten minutes. which is a step up from hand churning right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so vintage of you...i'm thoroughly impressed! the kitchenaid was another collective present, this time with Brando included, for Christmas 2 years ago. i love it...a lot. ;)

    ReplyDelete

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!