 |
| Santa & Me (circa 1982 ~5 months) |
Growing up, my Mama LOVED when we got our Santa pictures. She had seen an article in a magazine of a woman who had her daughter get a picture with Santa every single year until she was 21. They were all together in what I can imagine was a cool sort of visual timeline of sorts. Mom wanted to recreate that with my sister and me. Unfortunately, I stopped sitting on Big Red's lap around age 16. I think I broke my mom's heart...or at least upset her deeply. It is one of my regrets. However, as a 16 year old I was rather embarrassed to be visiting Santa with...gasp....onlookers! Sorry, Mama. I love you more than honey butter! If I could do it over, I would. Just for you!
 |
| 2011 - Awesome or just plain sad? (Cricket ~9 months) |
Last year, Cricket was terrified of Santa. This year, she knows who he is, but does gets super shy when she sees him. She points out Santa in books, gives the plastic one in our entryway hugs and kisses, and tell us that he goes, "Ho, Ho, Ho." That is the extent of her Big Red love. I don't blame her for not wanting to sit on his lap. She met a "preview" Santa a few weeks ago when we were visiting Mr. Schalk's family for Thanksgiving. She gave him a high five, which I thought was quite generous of her.
 |
| A little less frightening than the real Red. |
This year, I tried to
bribe encourage her to sit on Santa's lap by having Santa give her a little nativity statue. She had desperately wanted it at Hobby Lobby a few days before (yelling "I hold Jesus" super loud when put it back on the shelf). So, I snuck in and bought it, then we headed over to meet Santa. I was so excited! I opened the door to get her out of her car seat and she had fallen asleep! She NEVER falls asleep in the evenings. If she does, it's always a light sleep and she wakes up when I open the car door. This time, she was out cold. I guess she was not interested in meeting Santa. We drove around for a bit and went home. Bummer!
However, I was not deterred. We went back the next day and she kindly stayed awake. :) We walked up to Santa, and he handed her the precious mini Nativity statue that I snuck him. Cricket grabbed it but wanted nothing to do with sitting on his lap. Then, Santa pulled out a cross necklace to show us. I said, "Ohh, Cricket, look! Santa loves Jesus!" It didn't help matters, but I though it was neat. It was a Via deCristo cross that I recognized from when Mr. Schalk and I went on the same retreat a few years back. Santa told me he had to tuck it away. Sad, isn't it? But, way cool that he felt comfortable to show us. Go Santa!
I had a lovely conversation with Santa while Cricket thought it was all a bunch of hullabaloo. In the end, this is the only picture we walked away with. Notice the same look of fear as the year before. Ha! My sweet girl....maybe she'll dig Jesus loving Santa next year.
 |
2012 - A Family Affair...notice the nativity in her hands
(Cricket ~21 months) |
 |
| 2011 - Fear and yes, the same Santa! (Cricket ~9 months) |
What a memory! We really like this Santa. He has the kindest demeanor and REAL whiskers! I'm pretty sure this is the real Red and not a "helper." He is at the Clay Terrace Mall in Carmel for any fellow Central Indiana folks. I highly recommend him!
Ho, ho, ho! and Merry Christmas!
xo, Rachel
Flashback:
We Met Santa 2011
Santa Dreamin' 2010
I can only remember meeting Santa Claus once when I was a girl and I was terrified. I think I was 8 or 9 too! Don't blame little Greta for being afraid! He's a scary guy, even if he does bring presents! xxoo
ReplyDeleteLove these pictures! The family picture is my favorite. :) But I do really like both Santa & Cricket's face in the first one. Ha! Those are such wonderful memories. I can't wait to start those same ones next year!
ReplyDeleteAwe, these are such sweet pictures. :)
ReplyDelete