Archive

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

AuSable Dreams


We went canoeing down the AuSable this past week. It is a beautiful river in northern Michigan. This is where Brandon learned to fly fish last summer. That is our next goal...a joint fly fishing venture. After going down this beauty I can see why fly fishing has such an appeal. The peace and tranquility of this river is perfect for the quiet fly of this sport. It's a quiet sport from what I can gather. You walk down rivers casting a long line back and forth. Talk about recreating scenes from A River Runs Through It.


This guy did most of the work down the river. Okay, maybe 94.5% of the rowing. I just rowed to look cool or help in tight spots. I wanted to go back down the river as soon as we were done. Only on a Tuesday morning. Friday mid-morning/afternoons were too crowded. We met some nice people and rowed past some others who had different takes on life. Did I mention how peaceful this river is? Despite all the people there was a true sense of God's quiet hand at work here.



Beautiful!



This girl went, too! We weren't exactly sure what she would make of 2 hours in a canoe, but she loved it. She spent half the time with her paws up looking out of the canoe's side and the other half curled at our feet relaxing. She is a true adventure pup!

Next time, the longer run and snacks! Seriously, what am I thinking going ANYWHERE without snacks?

I want to go back to the AuSable...right now...there is something about this river that speaks to me. Must have to do with my Wildcat roots. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

About A Cupcake for Moose

Combining my childhood nickname of “Moose” and a sincere passion for all things sweet, A Cupcake for Moose was formed in 2009. Follow along this Midwesterners joyful, slightly dorky, always unique perspective on life as I seek to glorify God through photos, stories, recipes and laughter. With my wild at heart husband, Mr. Schalk, our two babies, "Cricket" and "Chief", and our crazy pup, Bonnie, it is sure to be an adventure!

xo, Rachel

All photos taken by me unless noted. Please ask before using. Thanks so much!